Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hard core vs. soft core double dipping rant!

Many of you know me in "real life" and know one of my pet peeves. I am freakishly stunned when people dip food into mutual food containers. I am not talking about double dipping as in sticking your half eaten carrot back into the container of ranch dip. I am talking about the act of having dipped the carrot into the dip in the first place.

I believe God gave us spoons to put into dips and the like so we could serve some up to our own plate for our own private dipping. My friends laugh at it whenever we are together and food is being served (which is pretty much any time we are together, duh!!) but it seriously revolts me. A member of my extended family (who shall remain nameless to save public shame) once dipped a potato chip directly into the crock pot of sloppy joes I had made for my son's birthday party. Yummy – there is nothing like my eating your potato chip crumbles in my sloppy joe. Revolting. Worse so is actual double dipping – unbelievably gross. If I saw actual double dipping into food – or even suspected it, you could be un-invited from the next food consumption event! HAH!

So, if you are over at my house and food is being served, please use the spoons or other appropriate apparatus to put dip or food onto your own plate. I'll be grateful, since I will then be able to continue to serve and eat the food I have so lovingly prepared. And, for the record, yes, at certain functions with certain offenders, I have been known to scoop some of the foods out first and put them on my plate in the fridge so I can still enjoy them later in the party.

Wondering what triggered this rant today? I read this in the July 2006 Readers' Digest and it blew my mind. This is the hard core double dipping – not the soft core dipping I am equally repulsed by:

"Fast Fact>> 46% of men and 31% of women admit to double dipping chips at parties."

Source: American Dietetic Association

1 comment:

Jessica (mom to 3 sassy's) said...

I just knew you of all people could back up your "thing!" I have a new respect for it.